War Room Movie Night: Older Child/Teen
- Plan for a night to watch the movie War Room (2015, Rated PG). Decide whether to rent, purchase or go to a movie viewing opportunity.
- Plugged In movie review recommends age 10+ for this movie. There are some topics that might not be suitable for younger children.
- Grab some popcorn and have this discussion guide ready.
Step One: The Set Up
Before watching the movie, let your child know that you are looking to find ways to grow in the area of prayer. Consider starting your time by praying together, and ask God to show you how He moved mightily through prayer. Sit back, and enjoy a great time watching the movie together.
Step Two: Discuss
After the movie, talk through the following questions together. Encourage each person to share their answers.
- How would you describe your prayer life ... hot, cold or somewhere in between? Why?
- What steps can you take to move your prayer life toward where you want it to be?
- In the movie they talked about fighting the wrong enemy. Read John 10:10. Who is the real enemy? How do you feel we, as a family, can battle the enemy together with prayer?
- What is your greatest struggle with praying? Is it finding time to pray or knowing what to pray? Talk about some of the ways they prayed in the movie (i.e. journaling prayers, praying Scripture, praying out loud). Is there a new prayer strategy you would like to try?
- What are one or two things you can start doing TODAY to develop a more active prayer life?
- Is there a special place where you want to create a “war room” in our home? If so, is there anything I can do to help you?
- How do you think an intentional prayer strategy could impact our family? School? Friends?
Step Three: Pray
Invite each person to share specific prayer requests that they would like to include in your prayer time. End your prayer by thanking God for your family and asking Him to help you grow in this area of prayer, both individually and as a family.
Praying for my teen
Salvation and obedience to follow God
God, draw _____ to know, love and obey You, and to follow Your commands. I pray _____ recognizes Your voice and holds on to Your promises, completely depending on you.
Ability to stand firm
Lord, please give _____ the conviction to stand for what is honorable and right. Help _____ to live according to Your Word. I pray _____ has the strength when tempted to always choose what is right.
God, guard _____'s relationshiops with friends and those of the opposity sex. Bring godly friends who love You into _____'s life. Protect and shield _____'s mind, eyes and ears from immoral and impure thoughts and actions.
Lord, I pray that You will give _____ a desire to live a life of purity. Help _____ to stay away from the things that are not pleasing to You. Protect my child's mind, body and soul.
Spiritual Growth & Service
Father, give _____ a clear purpose for the future. Help _____ to seek Your will and direction for every decision. Provide the desire to apply Your Word in eeryday life. Ignite a passion in _____'s heart to love and serve You.